UK shoppers saved £3.3bn over the last year by using coupons and vouchers, based on new consumer research released by Valassis Limited, the UK’s largest coupon and voucher services provider.
Overall, 86% of supermarket shoppers use coupons, with 40% indicating increased use from the previous year. Half (50%) of full-time workers revealed increased coupon usage, 12 percentage points higher than the previous year.
The survey found that 45% of shoppers are looking for promotional offers more than a year ago, eight percentage points higher than the previous year’s response. Younger consumers are more likely to look for deals with 55% of 25 to 34 year olds looking for offers compared to 28% of those 65 and older.
“Consumers increasingly seek out value and from a number of sources, thus continuing a long-standing shopping skill, honed further by the recent global economic crisis. Even though the economy has returned to growth mode, shoppers are not complacent” said Charles D’Oyly, Valassis Managing Director (pictured). “While coupons received at till was the most prolific source of coupons for shoppers, the Internet and mobile channels are gaining momentum.”
Additional survey findings:
- 33% of consumers feel their personal financial situation is worse than a year ago. Last year, 28% of consumers felt this way;
- Average monthly coupon savings increased to £6.83 from £6.59 with the savings varying based on leading supermarket-specific results;
- 65% of consumers have received a coupon at till along with their receipt;
- 35% of consumers said they have downloaded a coupon from the Internet;
- 34% are shopping at discount retailers more than they did a year ago; and
- Internet coupon usage has risen 9 percentage points from last year with 25 to 34 year olds leading the way.
These findings are based on market research responses from 2,000 UK adults aged 16+ conducted by GfK from April 8th to 11th, 2016.
Valassis Limited is the UK’s largest coupon and voucher services provider. Responsible for handling most of the UK’s coupons and vouchers, Valassis Limited is a leader in intelligent media delivery, providing over 58,000 clients with innovative media solutions to influence consumers wherever they plan, shop, buy and share.